Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Top Ten Albums of This Crazy Decade (Mondo)

 feel like I've come so far musically in the last ten years. If I made a top ten of the 90's it would have been mostly Biggie and Tupac. If I could of go back in time, I think I would probably punch myself in the stomach and hand myself an instrument.

10. Elliott Smith - From a Basement On the Hill (2004)



9. M.Ward - Post-War (2006)



8. Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations (2005)



7. White Stripes - Elephant (2003)



6. Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (2003)



5. Beck - Sea Change (2002)



4. Postal Service - Give Up (2003)



3. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)



2. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)



1. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2002)




After completing this list, I cannot help but notice that the majority of the albums fall in the early part of the decade. I don't think that is because they had more time to soak in. I think it is because I was in college then and had countless hours to listen to them over and over.

With technology where it is currently, I am constantly being exposed to new music. As of late, most new music falls off my playlist in two weeks or less. If it makes it a month, it is probably a pretty decent album. It makes me wonder how am I possibly going to do this again in ten years.



3 comments:

  1. You love rap.

    Elliot Smith postmortem, interesting.

    Hail to the Thief over Kid A and In Rainbows?

    No DMB or Blues Traveler? Surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this list a lot. Forgot about how good that Elliot Smith is. Kings Crossing off that album is one of his best songs ever. Wasn't this released after he stabbed himself in the chest too?

    And no KID A! Finally! ha. I like Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows a lot more than Kid A and am glad someone finally agrees.

    I completely agree with your post script saying countless hours of listening in college made the earlier part of the decade more dominant. And making this list in 10 years is going to be utterly impossible with the amount of music availible to us these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No DMB or Blues Traveler or Phish...though they all had influences on me.

    Rap albums that almost made it were Speakerbox/The Love Below and Late Registration.

    Yes, the Elliot Smith album came out after his death. From a Basement on the Hill was in the works for four years, and mixed and released after his death.

    KID A was great, but got mixed up with all the other Radiohead for me. When it came out I was at a period when I would just put all Radiohead on shuffle and not know one from the other (which I still do today). I liked some of the tracks on In Rainbows, but overall as an album I thought it lacked (for Radiohead standards). Hail to the Thief still feels knew to me.

    Haas, our top three match. No wonder you like this list so much. I wanted to add A. Bird Mysterious Egg so much somewhere.

    ReplyDelete