Monday, October 18, 2010

BOH's Infinite Arms: I've tried, but no

As I mentioned in the previous post, there have been a ton of great releases in 2010 -- many of which I was highly anticipating and then they came through big time. However, one release I was looking forward to that did not live up to my expectations is Band of Horses' Infinite Arms.

I've tried to like this album. Really, I have. But compared to their first two albums, it just doesn't match up. Infinite Arms is toned down a little. Not to say BOH's other albums are full-out rockers, but this new one is pretty tame. I like a couple of the tracks -- namely "NW Apartment" and "Older." But a majority of the album is a skip session for me. (Opener "Factory" is one song on this album I cannot stand.)

One difference on this album -- although not necessarily a detractor for me -- is that it features two songs, "Older" and "Evening Kitchen," that are sung by band members other than lead singer Ben Bridwell. The band took more of a "full band" approach on this record, which I appreciate, but maybe they're better off letting Bridwell take the reins by himself.

But then again, maybe not. As I said before, one of my favorite tracks is "Older," which was written and sung by guitar player Ryan Monroe. An article on BOH in Paste Magazine featured a quote from Bridwell that I liked a lot:

“I’ve been telling our management, or anyone involved—even Phil [Ek] before we started the record—that [Ryan’s song] ‘Older’ [was going to be on the record]. … There’s even people going, ‘I think it has a chance to be a single if you sing lead on it.’ And it’s like, ‘Fuck you, Ryan’s singing the song.’"

This quote gives me hope for the future of BOH. I don't think they're going to become the next Kings of Leon. I'm hoping they had kind of a dud album with Infinite Arms and will rebound with their next effort. I'm going to see them tomorrow night at the Riviera, so I'm hoping either they stay away from some of the new material (at least don't play "Factory" please!), or they play the new material so well that it makes me appreciate it more. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment