Tuesday, June 17, 2008

2008 Lollapalooza preview


Lollapalooza finally announced its 2008 lineup today. Now comes the fun part: Deciding which bands you go see, and which you have to take a pass on.

The organization of the schedule is a bit different from the past couple years. The past two years featured a big, huge headliner closing out the festival on Sunday night. Last year, Pearl Jam put on an impressive performance in front of an enormous crowd as the final act. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, in 2006, stuck with mostly new material in a lackluster Sunday performance. Both acts were the only band playing at the time, making them true headliners of the Chicago festival.

But this year, things have changed in that regard. The big show headliner comes on Friday night (Aug. 1), when Radiohead goes on at 8:00 p.m. In past years, Friday night would feature dueling headliners. Lolla promoters would have been nuts to put anyone up against Radiohead -- probably one of the biggest bands in the world right now. I cannot wait for their performance -- it'll be worth price of admission alone.

Saturday night (Aug. 2) features an interesting match-up between headliners: Wilco vs. Rage Against the Machine. I've seen both of these bands, so I'm not sure who to go see. I'll probably end up splitting between the two.

Sunday night (Aug. 3) has two headliners starting after 8:00 p.m. I think Nine Inch Nails is the much more appealing option. I look forward to seeing them live. I'd probably never buy a ticket to one of their shows, but Lolla provides the perfect opportunity to check them out.

Upon first glance, I'm surprised to find very few conflicts between bands I want to see. Friday has a nice flow with Yeasayer, the Kills, and the Black Keys playing in succession. Then I must decide whether I want to go see Stephen Malkmus or find a spot at Radiohead.

Other than that, a debate I'll have is between Broken Social Scene and Battles on Saturday. I think Battles will prove victorious.

So what's everyone else looking forward to, and what are some of your conflicts?

--OD

5 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad were talking about Lolla, I'm pumped for this year. I'm excited to see Manchester Orchestra, The Black Keys, MGMT, Okkervil River, Broken Social Scene, Toadies, JBT, NIN, and Radiohead of course.

    I do have a conflict with Wilco and Rage. Wilco is one of my favorite bands and they put on a great show at Lolla 06. Still, I have never seen Rage before and this might be one of my last chances. Anyone see that Tweedy is playing the Kidz stage on Friday?

    The Black Keys spot through me off a bit, their show is at 4:15 on Friday. I know they're playing in Toledo on the 2nd, but seems like a step down from playing Saturday night last year. This band has only gotten better in the past year.

    Looks like there is an "aftershow" section on Lollapalooza's site. There are some good bands playing in venues across Chicago including Mates of State w/ MGMT, Broken Social Scene, and Okkervil River.

    Tempting...

    --OC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there are some decent-looking aftershows. BSS with Yeasayer at Metro would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This years Lollapalooza is as I have said before 'Top Heavy'. That being said 2 bands I do not want to miss a second of are Radiohead and NIN. I have always wanted to go see NIN and if Trent Reznor is playing anywhere at one of these aftershows I would pay top dollar to see it. I am kinda upset still though at the lack of supporting bands. I would have liked to see a Jam Band thrown in the mix as well as more REAL hip hop from Common, Atmosphere, or The Roots. Perry Farrell you racist!

    Rage and Wilco is a def conflict for me as well. I have seen Wilco about 40 times and Rage 0. I must agree with OD though. Wilco is such a staple band and put on a great show in 06, but missing Rage might be a big mistake. I think I will settle with Tweedy on the Kids stage.


    At first glance though I have to go with this schedule for the weekend.

    Friday morning is a yawn so I wont be showing up till 3pm for...

    Jeff Tweedy
    The Kills
    The Black Keys
    The Raconteurs
    (want to see Malkmus but...)
    Radiohead

    Saturday

    Again the morning is a yawn.

    MGMT
    Okkervil River
    Broken Social Scene
    Toadies
    Rage/Wilco

    Sunday

    Office
    Wild Sweet Orange
    John Butler Trio
    Blues Traveler/Flogging Molly
    Gnarls Barkley
    The National (maybe depending on NIN crowd)
    NIN

    So yea I got some big openings in the mornings. What band is deserving of my waking up early to see them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta say, I was a bit disappointed with the lineup and schedule compared with last year's. There just don't seem to be as many bands that are "must see" for me and, like apehands, there are some big holes in my schedule.

    That said, It does offer me a bit of an opportunity to just kinda explore the grounds and find music I'm less familiar with. So there's that.

    I still haven't made up my mind with the Wilco/Rage problem; I've never seen either live, and I hate the thought of running around to catch halfsets from both. I suppose I'll have a better opportunity at seeing Wilco live again in the future than Rage, but still. Tough choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. F Lolla. It's all pitchfork this year baby!

    ReplyDelete