Monday, June 23, 2008

Fleet Foxes: Impressive debut

I've had this album for less than two days, and it's already grown on me. My first listen (in which I didn't give it my full attention) led me to believe this band was just ripping off mellow My Morning Jacket songs (from their "It Still Moves" album). But some closer listens proved to show there's a lot more.

Yes, these guys do sound like MMJ and Band of Horses in terms of vocals. But instead of one lead singer, a lot of the vocals are harmonized by the other members of the band. And there are many instances where the guitars, keys and drums fade out, and it's only vocal harmonizations.

The music has an almost mystical feel to it. Listening to this album is like walking through the woods from a fairy tale. If you are a fan of Band of Horses and MMJ, Fleet Foxes is worth a shot. Each listen leads you down a new twist and turn in this musical forest.

Let me know what you think of the album. If you disagree with my thoughts (Mickey), tell me why.

4 comments:

  1. I will def check it out. All this talk of MMJ and Band of Horses being the same band doesnt really irk me. They make great records and so what if they sound alike. I love that shit. And Mickey you are right, its mystical walking music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely dig this CD. I do have to say though; his voice is eerily similar to Jim James on some tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to say, enjoying it more and more as I listen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check this out just based on the cover art.

    It's like 18 Peter Gabriel Genesis album covers in one. Zang!

    kom

    ReplyDelete