Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Most-recent MMJ album 'urges' me to scratch my eyes out and cover my ears

I'm all in favor of bands changing up their sound. In fact, I enjoy witnessing the evolution of a band -- as long as it's for the better. The evolution of My Morning Jacket between their album "It Still Moves" and "Z" was definitely a pleasure. The first track from "Z" started with a slow, smooth keyboard, and it sounded like nothing from the previous album. But it also sounded good. The rest of the album followed suit in the quality department.

On MMJ's newest release, "Evil Urges," it appears the band tried for another transformation. What exactly they were trying to do, however, is a puzzle to me. This album carried a lot of buzz with it. In Chicago, tickets for their October two-night stop went on sale at least 6 months early, in anticipation of the band exploding after the release of "Evil Urges." Rolling Stone proclaimed the band as its Best Breakout band for 2008 (before the new album came out).

I'm starting to think MMJ might have carried a little too much ego into this record. After starting off decently -- three out of the first four songs are different, yet enjoyable (the exception being the third track, "Highly Suspicious," which is absolutely unlistenable) -- the album quickly takes a nosedive. "Thank You Too," "Sec Walkin," and "Two Halves" are just plain boring songs. You have to roll your eyes to this opening line from "Two Halves":

"Remember when you was seventeen?/You's going crazy!/You know what I mean?"

A couple tracks near the end of the record try to revive things, but it has a "too little, too late" feel to it.

MMJ decided to stray from what worked for them before: Some magical sounding vocals with a lot of reverb, and then throw in a kick-ass guitar riff here and there. As I said before, I can respect a band that wants to change up their sound. But this just seems like a step backward.

I waited to buy this album to let some of the buzz die down after its release. I read a lot of mixed reviews, so I wanted to take some time and listen to the album for myself. I listened to it a good six or seven times before writing this. Sorry to say, I probably won't listen to it much, if at all, again.

3 comments:

  1. 'Highly Suspicious' is somewhere between Prince and Miss Kittin...

    Prince:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5792204981326161348

    Miss Kittin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Q2McwqMPc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. OD I love the title and I could not agree more...'Highly Suspicious' is probably the worst song ever composed. However, I must say I don't know if I can agree with what blor is saying. ha. But I do love that Prince has made his way on this blog.

    The MMJ newest is pretty sub-par but I still like those first 4 tracks a lot. After listening to it for a few months now, I don't think I have ever made it past the middle of 'Two Halves'. I kinda go, what the fuck am I listening to?

    I will admit saying I def dug it after my first few listens.
    I guess I like when bands fuck around though, as long as they don't do it on thier next one and follow a trend of gay phil collins/prince/(alright blor)/Miss Kitten songs.

    'I'm amazed' is really the only song that will be remembered off this album and I bet MMJ straigtens out once Eddie Vedder cracks em over the head with a bottle of Jack and tells them to grow some balls and start rockin again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMN! That bad, huh? Have to say, I've seen it in the record stores and it's been packaged and promoted(and this is NOT nessesarily the fault of the band) as the BIG, coming-out record for MMJ. Having enjoyed this bands' last couple records(thanks to OD), I gotta say, this review makes me, somehow, MORE curious to hear it for myself, kinda like a car wreck you just have to see yrself....

    Maybe they started reading their own press a lil' too much.....

    Still a great live band though.

    ReplyDelete