Monday, August 11, 2008

What I like most about music ...

I listen to music for many reasons. I like to discover new, exciting sounds. I like to relive memories and think about where I was at a certain moment while listening to a song. I like to find music that matches my mood -- and music that is completely opposite of my mood.

I enjoy dancing or rocking out at a live show, just about as much as sitting in a chair listening to something on headphones. The versatility of music is a great thing. Music fits into so many aspects of my life, it's hard to pinpoint what I like most about it. But I think I have ... at least for now.

I would have to say my favorite thing about music is that moment when I hear something that, just out of the blue, makes me smile. I've caught myself smiling a lot while listening to music lately. I don't know if it's a recent thing or what. It often occurs when I hear something unexpected in a song. It could be a 5-second bridge; a long, building guitar solo that explodes; a sudden change in tempo. Something that makes me think, "How or where did this person come up with that??"

It's this search for moments like this that makes me love music. I usually try to share these moments with other people, but they rarely feel the same way. And that almost makes it better, more personal. Everyone listens to music in a different way, I guess.

So I know it's hard to narrow it down, but why do you love music?

6 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about music is the ebb and flow of my musical preferences. I admit, I get sick of songs, bands, and even genres of music... but some months (or even years) later, that same music elicits memories of times and events past.

    Music connects friends to the same memories, and just hearing a song can spur conversation among a group of friends remembering a road or camping trip, or an incredible concert from years past. This aids relationship solidification, gelling the experience in good friends' minds as a bonding and entertainment experience. And, OD, doesn't that just make you smile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY favorite thing about music is how different it is. Music will always change. My favorite bands are ones that evolve with the times, or ones that just throw everything out and start anew. The good ones can reinvent themselves in to something better.

    There is soooo much music out there and unlike a shitty movie I can always just give music a 'try'.

    Coming from someone who doesn't play an instrument, music pretty much blows my mind. How does one pick up a guitar and write an original song? Music is a mystery to me and that may be why I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about music is it's ability to immediately affect my mood. If I'm pissed & want to be, then BAM - I've got fast paced aggressive music on & it feels great. If I'm depressed or sad or something; soft, spacious tunes make me feel like others might know whats going on. Long road trip & I'm feeling tired, hello Bruce Springsteen! Yes, I AM born to run motherfucker, let's tap that century mark & make time!

    On the other hand, when i need an attitude adjustment & alcohol isn't immediatly available, I can just pop on a favorite CD and gradually change my outlook on the world. Similar to what blor is saying, the memories of previous experiences with a song or album can recreate feelings. (i.e. - Welcome to My Party For You, eh OD?)

    Or I can put on a Frank Zappa CD & lose complete control of reality and act like a goof!

    In my opinion, the intrinsic value of music is it's emotional relationship with the listener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a tough one. I mean, i want to use that Almost Famous line- "What do i like about music? Well, for starters, everything" But I think if I had to say something, then it would be that music, for me, seems to make everything better. Gotta clean the house? Put some music on. Throwing a party? Put some music on! Feeling a bit down? Put some music on! Trying to coax a couple girls into a 3-way? Put some Prince on! ;)

    And also that great albums become like friends, in that you want your other friends to meet them, and you can hang out with them whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music always heightens my current mood - whether it be happy, sad, angry, sleepy, excited, hurt, chilled, etc.

    There is always something out there I can listen to that will intensify how i feel. That's what I love.

    Yeah, that's deep...

    ReplyDelete