Wednesday, July 2, 2008

BECK - Modern Guilt

I just gave a listen to the new Beck that comes out on July 8th to the public. The only thing I have to say negative about this album is the shortness, otherwise I love it. I really felt like Beck just had a great time recording this album. It has steady grooves from beginning to end. I know this is one of those albums I can listen to repeatedly, there is no stand out tracks in my mind, it seems like one long song. This to me is not Beck's best or innovative album by far, but it does share some great beats and harmonies as other albums in the past. I would not categorize this as a "musical forest" as OD did in the last post about the Fleet Foxes, but I would say it's a great album to drink and shoot the shit to. It just makes ya feel good.

Let me know what you think of the new one from Beck.

4 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to give this a listen. From the reviews I've read so far, it seems like an album that's right in line with my musical taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the opertunity to listen to this album on my way to work this morning. I must say the shortness of the songs does make it meld into one long overture. The only track that really stuck out to me was the title track 'Modern Guilt'. That is for sure the single.

    At first listen the album was enjoyable, but the Beck I like has way more folk influence in it. There was some that I could hear, but I would always like more.

    Apehands

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually somewhat excited about this record. I heard a snipit of a single on XRT and it was super smooth.

    Hopefully Beck has moved past his brush with Scientology and has purged the snoozes of Guerro and The Information out of his system.

    Patiently yours,
    KO'Marquis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally got around to buying this. I've listened to it a few times and I think I'd rate it as average -- so far. (3.5 out of 5)

    It seems like there's a lot going on in the background that I will have to check out more closely. I won't fully make up my mind until I give it a good listen on headphones.

    What do you guys think of it now that you've had a while to listen to it?

    ReplyDelete