Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Anathallo - Canopy Glow

Anathallo came out with a new album today as a follow up from the first album Floating World.

I first saw Anathallo at Lollapalooza 2006 on a side stage, to my surprise I loved them. They have a heavy focus on percussions, piano, horns, and vocals with two members almost always singing together. They hail from Mt. Pleasant Michigan and now reside in Chicago. The band consist of 7 members that can play every instrument under the sun. One of my favorite things listening to this band is the random holes and sometimes off beat songs. Their music never seems to have one direction throughout the song but they still make it work. I think this style rings true in this new album. The highlights on the album for me are "The River", "Bells", "Italo", and "Noni's Field." Now if anyone reading this post listened to Canopy Glow and Floating World and thought I was crazy, I would not be surprised. Some of the songs can be a bit of an acquired taste, but I think it's worth a few more listens. Most of the music I constantly listen to took some time before I called them my top bands.

--JMOC

2 comments:

  1. I love this album. You can check out my review at www.captainmelody.com and let me know if you want to exchange links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have your link on my site now.

    ReplyDelete