Sunday, November 23, 2008

We say we like them, but really ... we don't

Is it the Stones? Neil Young? The Smiths? David Byrne? Let it be known, it’s okay to admit it: you don’t get it. ClapTrapped shares its list of bands we say we like, but deep down don’t. (Not highly respected bands we hate; that’s a little different.)

Mickey says: I like Bob Dylan, everybody does. But really, to be honest, I only like “Blonde on Blonde” – the rest I can do without. I’m living a lie, most of the time. Anytime he comes up in conversation, I’ll say that I love Dylan, how he’s timeless, a true genius, can do no wrong. Dirty, dirty lies – all of them. Now before you start drafting your response, and all the reasons I don’t know what I’m talking about, think a minute. You know you think he sucks too and you’re just too afraid to admit it, so you pretend to like him.

Apehands says: There are artists from the ‘60s and ‘70s that people talk about like gods. One can easily say a band is good because they either aren’t from that era or they just don’t have the energy to dismiss an artist that society as a whole has come to revere. Well, I have the energy and time to tear Eric Clapton a new one. I don’t know who this guy thinks he is. Sure he plays a badass blues guitar and used to rock with Cream back in the day, but what has he done since? Layla? Lame. Tears in Heaven? Lame. What happened to songs like Cocaine? It seems to me as if the guy was crowned the king of blues rock before he even released 3 good albums. What has he done besides give us sappy contemporary singles in the last 30 years? Sure the guy used to look cool mastering the Strat with his jeans and thick mustache, but now every time I see him he’s got glasses and a suit on. I get it: He got old, had some kids, and settled down. My opinion is he settled down a long time ago and has sucked ever since the days with Cream when he could actually write a gritty song. The only station I listen to in Chicago is WXRT and they love themselves some Clapton. I will be driving in a car, and what do you know some crappy “unplugged” Eric Clapton will come on. My suggestion is that he unplugs completely and just retires.

JMOC says: I would say the band that I say I like but hate would be Jimmy Buffet. I have seen him about 7 times in concert – pretty much just for the party. Although I like a few of his songs, I think mostly he's overrated.

OD says: I’m going to have to go with the White Stripes. For a band that doesn’t particularly strike my fancy, I own three of their albums. I feel like I should like this band. But for whatever reason, they just don’t do it for me. Other acts I like less than I let on: David Bowie, the Velvet Underground, and Pearl Jam.

4 comments:

  1. Mickey, remind me that I owe you a punch in the stomach for hating on Bob Dylan. You can hate him now for not fufilling his destiny of assending into heaven on a giant harmonica before his songwriting went to shit, but I do not allow you to rip on the man as a whole.

    OD...Pearl Jam really? sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic -- keep 'em coming!

    When I don't like what I'm hearing, if prompted, I don't hide my displeasure. However, there are some bands I just don't get: The Rolling Stones, U2, and Coldplay. The Rolling Stones are influential and legendary, but just don't do it for me. U2 and Coldplay are flat-out terrible.

    Mickey: Dylan may suck as a singer, but his songwriting is undeniably influential, if not inspired.

    OD: The White Stripes are, indeed, massively overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic.
    Even before I read this, Bob Dylan was the first to pop into my head.

    Then I read Mickey's blurb and completely agree, except I'll take it a step further and admit that I don't even claim to like Dylan.
    He's influential, legendary, and has my respect.....but when I hear a Dylan song I just think "this is a bad song!" (musically). He writes great lyrics but he's not too good at putting that to song; he's a poet.

    I agree about Pearl Jam too, not sure why I don't like them...I should! I guess its just because Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are so much better that I don't even bother with Pearl Jam.

    I also feel this way about Syd Barrett era of Pink Floyd. It hurts me to say this but its true....shit is too messed up even for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot to point out that Clapton's best songs are covers:

    I Shot the Sheriff
    After Midnight
    Cocaine
    Knockin on Heaven's Door

    That's all I have off the top of my head, but there are a lot more.

    Even Layla should be considered a cover- it was written by Derek and the Dominoes. The seemingly disparate sections of the song contrast as they do because Clapton only wrote half of it, the other half was written by Jim Gordon. The were not written together, as a collaborative effort.

    In regards to not liking the Velvet Underground, Dylan, or Bowie... that's just retarded. If you don't get it, I urge you to keep listening.

    ReplyDelete