Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Where and when do you listen to music?

I’ve noticed recently that while I’m listening to music, I’m usually doing something else. It’s a pretty good bet I’ll be driving, working, exercising, or reading something online. Rarely am I just sitting and actually listening to music. It’s something I was able to do during earlier parts of my life, when I had the time. I have to say, I kind of miss it.

It’s probably why I enjoy going to see live music so much. At that moment, all that matters is the music. I can pay attention to how the bass line is playing off the drums. I can notice that little noise the guitar player is making that would usually go unnoticed while listening to an album at work.

The emergence of MP3 players and online music has contributed to this "distracted" listening, as it makes it easier to listen to a chunk of music here or there, rather than sitting down and listening to an album in its entirety.

Coming to this conclusion, I want to try and actually listen to my music more, as opposed to using it as background filler. Where and when do you guys listen to music?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a casual music appreciator, I usually listen to music in the company of friends. Whether it's at a party, concert, or bar; chatting in the living room while playing video games or watching football; or camping in the Colorado mountains or the Utah desert, I find myself listening to music almost exclusively in the company of others.

    Music accompanies life, serving to accent moments, rather than dictate the mood. It serves as an accompaniment to activity, enhancing memory creation and retention. I may not be on the bleeding edge of musical trend, but as I know the role it has played in my life, I'm happy to allow music to help shape the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago, every new CD that I bought I would put into the stereo and just sit and listen (actively listen) to every song.

    Unfortunately as the real world comes crashing down on me, music gets pushed into the background. I probably listen to music more often than ever before, but I don't pay as much attention to it.

    In my opinion, the best way I get into music I listen to is to actual jam along to it. So often I'll put a song on and pick up the guitar; I've realized that it brings a lot more musical appreciation to the songs I'm listening to that I notice whenever I hear the song (jamming along to it or not).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving, doing the dishes, on a walk, riding my bike (at an appropriate level to hear surrounding traffic - saftey first!), at a bar, playing video games, and making sweet passion are the times when I listen to music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i first starting buying cd's, back in high school, i would actively listen to every song until i pretty much memorized the whole album. i would listen with my headphones, in bed, just before going to sleep.

    but now, i've been buying cd's more frequently, and i don't have the time to listen to the albums in much depth. sadly, music has become a background thing: i let a cd play when i'm commuting to school, doing my schoolwork, or surfing the net.

    hm, your blog post reminded me of how nice it was to just listen to music, without distractions. perhaps i should resume my habit of listening to music just before bedtime...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah i know what you mean about it being everywhere but not really taking it in fully. i make an effort to listen to music while doing little to nothing else...i might be looking around the blogosphere but nothing too mentally taxing. i think it's really healthy to really let music move you, and often--classical music is really good for that. einstein said that listening to mozart helped him realize the most perfect harmonies in the universe.

    listening to a great album wholeheartedly is like reading a great book or watching an incredible movie. you just have to allow yourself to get into it, you know?

    ReplyDelete