Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ahh Crap

Well the news around town is that TicketMaster and Live Nation are merging to make Live Nation Entertainment. Yes that's right, the countries largest concert promoter and the worlds largest ticket-selling network are trying to make a deal.  Awesome, now when you get ripped off buying your ticket and the concert sucks because Live Nation couldn't plan a tea party, you can blame one company. YEAH for us!  Don't worry, I'm not still bitter about when Mick and I flew to Dallas just to see Radiohead and we waited in traffic outside the concert for 2 hours which resulted in missing the first few songs. No, it was just another Live Nation miracle.

So does this mean TicketMaster will take the increased power and money to lower the "convenience charges" on the tickets we buy? Well one can dream. Who knows, maybe this monopoly will empower bands to find another solution for putting on concerts. I believe ClapTrapped Ticketing and Concert Promotion Co. was just born.  Well real competitors like the very small ticketbiscuit.com to the larger tickets.com will certainly have their eye on this deal. The possible merger has received some attention in Washington, Senator Herb Kohl, a Wisconsin Democrat stated "We look forward to examining the details of this proposed acquisition to ensure that consumers are protected." Protect us please!

So I guess we shall see ClapTrappers...

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, LiveNation sucks major balls. I wanted to punch my computer a couple weeks ago when ordering my Phish tickets..... Convenience charge my fat ass... It took me an hour to place an order on their busch league website... Something that should have taken 5 minutes, tops.

    Rolling Stone even went so far as to comment on this fiasco in their latest issue in an article on this very same merger. I also love how Ticketmaster refers to their customer service as "World Class Customer Service". Getting these people to help you is like pissing in the wind.

    All of these ticket companies can go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I'm with ya G Money. Getting Phish tickets was a nightmare with LiveNation.

    My question is, why don't more bands protest the outrageous monopoly on the concert world. I remember Pearl Jam boycotting Ticketmaster, and even have live recordings of Eddie getting crowds to chant " TICKETMASTER SUCKS" but what did that even do? Nothing has seemed to change.

    Ticket prices are getting to be way too high, when I have to pay $40+ to see a band play The Vic you know something is wrong. $8 convience fee? Charging me $2.50 a ticket to print my tickets at home? What a load of crap.

    More bands need to step up and start a revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, a $26.50 ticket to see moe. cost me over $40 after the fees. Ridic.

    ReplyDelete