Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kaiser Chiefs, "Off with their Heads"

I bought Kaiser Chiefs' latest album, "Off With Their Heads," a few months back, but didn't listen to it much at first. The songs were catchy and tight, but I didn't think they had much substance.

I recently gave this album another chance, and I've found myself listening to it quite a bit lately. The guitar riffs are catchy, and the keyboards provide nice filler. The lyrics kind of leave something to be desired, but overall, I think it's a pretty "fun" album.

The album is short -- 11 tracks, all under four minutes -- but I don't feel like it's incomplete. The songs don't waste any time or drag. Some of the tracks are pretty lousy ("Half the Truth" and the incredibly annoying "Addicted to Drugs," especially), and there are a couple out-of-place guest appearances (Lily Allen and some rapper named Sway DaSafo), but I think the first six tracks (especially "Like it too much" and "You Want History") are worth giving the album a listen.

I'm interested to hear Claptrapped's British band expert, Kolmin's opinion of this record. I don't know if I'll like this album a few months from now, or if I'll shake my head at the fact that I ever listened to it.

1 comment:

  1. OD I would definitely agree with "fun". Some of the tracks need some work, but there are a few well produced songs.

    Nothing fantastic, but I would give another listen.

    ReplyDelete