Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Return Of Phish, Hampton Coliseum, 3-6-09








For me at least, after last night, it feels like the universe has shifted back into place. Phish is back, folks.... And I couldn't be more excited. After living in a Phishless world for the past 5 years, the show is already being hailed as a massive sucess as a result of Phish's rigorous practice schedule. All the cobwebs and rust from the past five years of inactivity were shrugged off in an awesome display (Both sets can be heard in MP3 format at phishthoughts.com). Phish opened with "Fluffhead" a ridiculously complex and notoriously neglected fan favorite which never saw the light of day during the post-hiatus shows of '03-'04. Next up was "The Divided Sky", another one of Phish's more complicated opus'. You can hear the elation oozing from Trey Anastasio's voice as he sings the only verses of the song as if to say "God it's good to be back!!"

Other highlights from the 16 song first set were the jammed out "Chalkdust Torture" as well as tried and true jam vehicles "Stash" and "David Bowie". The second set began with a new song "Backwards Down The Number Line" and a funked out "Tweezer". From what I hear, the most standout point of the night was the false start to an absolutely insano "You Enjoy Myself", an inside joke among the band and fans harkening back to the notoriously famous flubbed version from the first post-hiatus show back in 2003.

A new chapter was opened last night for the band and Phisheads all over the world, including myself. As weird as it may seem to some, the whole reunion is very surreal to me. I grew up listening to Phish, so its one of those bands that is very near and dear to me and can conjure up something inside of me whenever I hear them.... So can't wait to hear what the rest of the run will sound like, and now the summer cannot come fast enough.

Hopefully I'll see everyone at Alpine Valley....

No comments:

Post a Comment