Sunday, March 29, 2009

Flaming Lips to headline Pitchfork 2009

The Flaming Lips will be headlining the 2009 Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago this summer. This is some exciting news, and will pretty much guarantee that I will be attending. When the news was announced last Friday, Pitchfork was also reporting that the Lips would be participating in their "Write the Night: Set Lists by Request" series, where fans have the chance to vote for a particular song they want to hear.

I was pumped to hear this news because, from what I've heard, the Flaming Lips tend to play a very similar set list at each performance. This announcement has been retracted, however, so the Lips' set list will be at the band's discretion.

The four bands that are taking part in the set list request series are: Built to Spill, The Jesus Lizard, Yo La Tengo, and Tortoise. These bands will all play Friday night, July 17.

I'm kind of bummed the Flaming Lips aren't doing the set list request because I think it's a really innovative concept. But I'm not going to complain too much. I'm sure they will put on a very enjoyable performance, as always.

It makes me wonder, though, what kind of a set would be played. Would it be a lot of fan favorites, or a lot of obscure tracks from early albums?

Click here for a list of bands playing at this year's Pitchfork. More will be announced soon.

1 comment:

  1. Alright for Built to spill and Flaming Lips, I have to go now...

    I think were going to hear a lot from "The Soft Bulletin"

    ReplyDelete