Thursday, April 23, 2009

Finding new music

About a month ago, I signed up for a weekly e-mail alert on spooonful.com. Every Tuesday, it sends you an e-mail featuring a certain band. It lists the band's bio, along with what other bands it sounds like, and provides links to where you can listen to a few songs.

I like it. The e-mails don't get annoying, as they're sent only once a week. And so far I've been pretty pleased with the bands they've suggested. They've been a good mix of bands I'm quite familiar with, somewhat familiar with, and some I've never heard of.

This week's e-mail featured the Handsome Furs (a side project of one of the members of Wolf Parade). It pretty much sealed the fact that I'm going to check them out. I have a personal policy in which if I hear a recommendation for a band or album from three separate sources, I check it out. It almost always ends up working out. The spooonful e-mail was the third recommendation of the band that I've seen.

So if you're looking for a way to find new bands without having to do much work, sign up at spooonful.com. It doesn't take long at all.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna sign up for this during my lunch break!

    I've been discovering new bands just by making "radio stations" on Lastfm.com and its recommended a lot of stuff that I really like. Pandora works the same way, but gets stale pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete