Tuesday, April 14, 2009

You’re Here to See Who?


It doesn’t make sense, I have found some of my favorite bands by accidentally going to shows early, and on the rare occasion I go shows solely to see the opener I feel a sense of superiority, “You’re here to see who? What time are they playing?” Damn kettle’s can’t say nothing about this pot. The opener(s) is my favorite way to come across new, or at least new to me, music, but…


I repeatedly find ways to miss them when going to shows. I often treat them like a waste, some one trying to play over my obviously much more important conversation, or taking up time that could be better used trying to liquor up on much cheaper store bought spirits.


However the bands you come across in this way also play the best, and often cheapest, shows at the smallest venues, finally I come to the point of this post. Two Lolla’s ago, is that an official unit of time, I decided an entire day of music wasn’t good enough. So I went to meet a few friends at the House of Blues for what I thought was going to be an STS9 show. It turned out that show was sold out and we were going to see Anathallo, a fine band in their own right but not my focus right now, on the Back Porch at the House of Blues. The first band, the opener for the opener, was Manchester Orchestra.


Manchester Orchestra is a 5 piece band from Atlanta, Georgia. They have one full length album, I’m Like A Virgin Losing a Child, and will be releasing their second, Mean Everything to Nothing, on April 21st. The entire new album is now streaming on their MySpace site and they will be playing a show at the Subterranean on the 8th of May for the recession friendly price of $13. I don’t want to say too much about the band for fear of overcompensating, I will only say they remind me at times of both Bright Eyes and Death Cab, and at the very least check out I’ve Got Friends, I Can Feel a Hot One, and I Was a Lid on their new album.


Anyone want to post on bands they've come across while going to see someone else?

4 comments:

  1. I also tend to miss opening bands. I never look forward to sitting through an opening set, but every once in awhile you find a gem.

    Last year I went to see the Cribs, and Ra Ra Riot opened up for them. I had never heard of Ra Ra Riot, but I thought it was possibly the worst name for a band I'd ever heard. Before they went on stage, I had very, very low expectations. But they ended up being awesome. They put out a solid debut album last year that I would have never heard if I didn't go to the show. They were way better than the headliner.

    Also last year I went to see Yeasayer, who was opening for Man Man. I had never really heard Man Man before, so this was kind of the opposite of this post topic. Yeasayer was pretty good, and Man Man ended up being ... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect example. Andrew Bird opening for Wilco.

    Then there was M.Ward opening for Bright Eyes.

    And of course, My Morning Jacket opening for Pearl Jam.

    Sure I had maybe heard of these bands before seeing them, but the headliners gave them their respect so you think 'hey' they gotta be atleast decent.

    Now that weirdo with the washboard that opened for the Fleet Foxes show that OD and I went to...a whole nother story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the guy who looked like he belonged playing on the back of train during the Civil War-era. That guy was crazy bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to see Anathallo

    Back in the day when the fireside bowl was a "venue," I saw an opening band called The Bullet Conscience (I went to see my friend's band called Crush Kill Destory). There was about 6 people in attendance including my friend and I. Probably the only time I've ever bought an opening band's cd at the show.

    ReplyDelete