Wednesday, August 5, 2009

No. 4: Yeah Yeah Yeahs


OK, OK, I have to admit, listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for this review made me enjoy their music a bit more. I’m not in crazy love like some fans have been for the past 9 years, but I can see where people can enjoy this style of music. This band is led by Karen Lee Orzolek (know as Karen O), guitarist Nick Zinner and drummer Brian Chase. They broke out into the scene in 2003 with their debut album Fever to Tell and song "Maps" started to hit the radio waves. They now have three albums which have all been given rave reviews from many of the toughest music critics. I would describe the Yeah Yeah Yeahs as electronic punk. The sounds is overall very grungy with heavily distorted guitars and pouty loud vocals, but then they will break out into something you would here from The Chemical Brothers.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs replaced Beastie Boys on Saturday night due to Adam Yauch needing surgery because of a cancerous tumor in his left salivary gland. I'm sure this helped many people make the decision to see Tool. Even though I have more respect for their music, I still believe the show they performed at Lollapalooza two years ago was not that great. I've had many people argue this with me, but I just didn’t see the attraction. I would be willing to give the band another shot, but there is no way in hell it's going to happen this year since they're playing during Tool's timeslot. Anyone that goes to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will not know what they’re missing.
One more note, doesn't Brian Chase (left) look like Bruno? Just a thought.

2 comments:

  1. Given your comment on the Tool post, you're objectivity is questionable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but yes, Brian Chase does look like Bruno. And Nick Zinner looks like a 17 year old Brian Grazer.

    ReplyDelete