Saturday, August 1, 2009

No. 7: Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon consists of three brothers (Caleb, Nathan, and Jared Followill) and their cousin (Mathew). The band was named after their father (named Leon), who traveled with the boys throughout the South as a Pentecostal evangelist. Leon introduced them to classic rock, and when the family settled down eventually in Nashville, the Followill brothers picked up instruments and started making music.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this band. I used to really dig them, but I don't like the direction their last two albums have gone. Their first two albums, Youth and Young Manhood and Aha Shake Heartbreak were in-your-face rockers. I'll listen to the first four songs of Aha Shake any day -- it's a great string of songs, ending with one of my favorite Kings of Leon songs: "Pistol of Fire."

Their third album, Because of the Times took a while to grow on me. I didn't like it at first, and it wasn't really until I saw them play at Lollapalooza a couple years back that I started to appreciate the album. And then came last year's Only by the Night. Not only do I dislike most of its songs, but I don't like the attitude of the album. (Read my review of the album here.) Everbody under the sun has heard the song "Sex on Fire." This commercial attitude, along with the band's huge ego, worries me. Kings of Leon wants to be huge stars, and they probably will be. I'm just not sure if I'll be listening much longer.

I would recommend seeing these guys live, however. They sound good, and they play with attitude. I can only hope they play a mixed setlist with lots of their old stuff at Lolla. They're headlining Friday night -- up against Depeche Mode.

Myspace

Official site

1 comment:

  1. Could not agree more with this write up. Used to be good, now they suck.

    ReplyDelete