Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Top 10 Albums of the Decade (Kolmin)

The task of summing up a decade in 10 albums was almost a weight too great for me to carry, and depending on the day and hour you asked me there were a great number that had cracked into the picture at least briefly. So I'm taking the easy way out and listing them anyways, the runners up included:

Damien Rice - O
The National - Boxer
Kanye West - College Dropout
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Rage Against the Machine - Renegades
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Unclassified
Royksopp - Melody A.M.
The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
The Zutons - Who Killed the Zutons
The White Stripes - Elephant
The Black Keys - The Big Come Up
Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers
John Butler Trio - Grand National
Sound Tribe Sector 9 - Artifact

I know, I know. What's the point of a top 10 if you list every album made in the past decade? Well to those of you that agree with that sentiment: Bite me. And just think, I could have easily doubled that list if I included multiple albums from any band i.e. Radiohead, Wilco, Beck...

Tired yet? Just wait it gets good here...

Number 10 - Shadows on the Sun - Brother Ali (2003)

Brother Ali's debut studio album. Soul, gospel, jazz, blues, folk, rock, reggae all seemed to come together in Brother Ali's debut studio album. Highlights include Forest Whitaker and Prince Charming.

Number 9 - Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing (2009)

Manchester Orchestra's sophomore effort did not disappoint. The album is solid from beginning to end, with varying emotion and tempo. The band set the bar for albums in 2009 and has much to live up to in the rest of their very young career.

Number 8 - Elbow - Leaders of the Free World (2005)

My favorite album from one of my favorite bands. Leaders of the Free World showcased Elbow's ability to convey emotions and statements beyond the somberness of their first two albums. Hightlights include Mexican Standoff, Forget Myself, and Station Approach.

Number 7 - Beck - Guero (2005)

Some may argue for Beck's Sea Change but I was much happier with his return to Odelay with his 2005 release Guero. Make sure to include the bonus tracks when obtaining this album.


Number 6 - Give Up - The Postal Service (2003)

Ben Gibbard of DCFC and Jimmy Tamborello created quite possibly the greatest "side project" of all time. The electronic pop album manages to come off as classical and forward thinking all at the same time.

Number 5 - The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)

The Lips' follow up to their award winning The Soft Bulletin (1999) was bound to disappoint. Problem is nobody bothered to tell little Yoshimi. Anxiously awaiting the rumored musical.

Number 4 - Tool - Lateralus (2001)

Five years in the making Tool's 3rd studio album was truly a work of art. More an album than a collection of songs, Lateralus, contains unusually long tracks that explore various timing signatures. Possibly the most complete album of the decade.

Number 3 - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (2001)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm not sure if there's ever been a bigger album by a smaller band. It changed so much for so many, or so I've heard.

Number 2 - Spoon - Kill the Moonlight (2002)

Why do you hate Spoon? This album is amazing and everyone needs to listen to it again and again and again until they get it. No forgetting Spoon.

Number 1 - Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

One of the first great albums released in the decade was never surpassed and most likely responsible for inspiring many other great albums through out the rest of the decade.

8 comments:

  1. Surprised to see the Craptional get an honorable mention...

    I like Guero a lot. My copy of the album is in a random jewel case somewhere in my CD collection. I can't find it, and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have one album post mid-decade and rip on me for having too many early decade albums? hmmm...

    Not being a fan of Manchester Orchestra or Elbow because they are mediocre bands that don't quite make it to that upper echelon I completely disagree with those choices. They bore me.

    I have heard good things about that Tool album, but could never really get in to them.

    I was surprised to see Spoon so high on the list, but that album is their best.

    Almost forgot about Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Unclassified, I used to listen to that CD all the time.

    and Snow Patrol is lame. ok im done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elbow mediocre Hass? Your nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The early part of the decade was noticeably better. Just trying to create some thought and discussion among the group.

    Hass' doesn't like bands that don't whistle or play the mandolin. Not to mention if you can't rattle off a twenty minute song at your show you're probably not worth a damn either. Hass is way too hipster to not be bored by such mediocre bands. he's comfortable in his bubble let's let him live there.

    Snow Patrol's first album was fairly solid and then they got Grey's Anatomy'd and now suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I have three albums in 2005 or later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. its Haas. not Hass. im glad you now think Snow Patrol sucks.

    I was also just going for some discussion among the group. and I listen to plenty of bands that don't whistle or play mandolin! ha! My list had plenty of bands that don't play that type of music. You just hate the Bright Eyes and Andrew Bird for some reason and can't get past me putting them on there.

    PS I re-listened to Kill the Moonlight yesterday cause I haven't in awhile, and that album is really good. I am now on a Spoon kick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh and I ALSO had three albums in 2005 or later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The better Spoon album in my opinion is Girls Can Tell, it doesn't get much better then Me and the Bean especially with a homage to the Beatles at the start of the song. Spoon is very underrated though for sure and I'd love to see them. But that album is pretty badass too.

    ReplyDelete