Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pitchfork Music Festival Review: Sunday

Hello everyone.
Here are some acts I saw from Sunday. Good day, but long.

Dirty Projectors:

Weird multi-harmony off tempo math pop with lots of treble. Bizarre I know, but it was interesting to see this work live. Pretentious at times, but that's what you'd expect from a Yale dropout.

Apples in Stereo:


Simple pop, rather langweilig. None of the songs seemed to differ or go anywhere, and they were one of the acts that really did not fit for me. Now I don't know much of the Apples' material, besides this one set, but I still have no idea how Elephant 6 thought/thinks this band fits on their label (Of Montreal, Neutral Milk Hotel). I would maybe recommend this band to some lame singer/songwriter fans from the east coast, like Boston or something.

King Khan and his Shrines:


Hot funky stuff. The band was surprisingly classic in sound for contemporary R&B, which usually sounds over produced and watered down. King Khan worked his MC character and the crowd well, and his backing band, full of horns and a very thick bass line, was quite torrential (in an exaggerated blues sense). Hokey at times, but extremely enjoyable. One of the only boogie times I had on Sunday.

The Dodos:

This stupidly named band was one of the only groups I had not listened to before the festival, and they were delightful. Rich acoustic/electric guitar sound accompanied by interesting and exciting rhythms added a novel explosive aspect to what looks like simple acoustic emo on paper. The guitar playing was exeptional, very clever and fast, which sometimes I felt was due, in part, to the man's ridiculously impressive axe. The vocal sounded like a poor man's Morrissey, which surprisingly worked for an outside show. The recorded music I've heard of theirs since is ok/good, but i really recommend this band live outside in the sunshine.

M. Ward:

All I can say for this one is BORING. Just like Cat Power last year, you need to listen to M. Ward alone in your room or at a club.

Spoon:


Usual Spoon, but with horns. Still haven't seen them inside.

All in all, this was a good day.

km

3 comments:

  1. M. Ward Boring? More like soothing. But I must agree he doesn't really work outside. I knew every song he played, and he played them all very different from the album form. I think he was trying to step it up for an outdoor festival but came up a little short. I just can't agree with boring when his voice starts jirating through my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your Apples in Stereo assessment. Pretty lame. And they even played the song from that car commercial that I like.

    I didn't find M. Ward boring, but I wasn't blown away either. I definitely would rather listen to his CDs.

    The Dodos were a nice surprise. I think I'll be checking more of them out.

    Did anyone catch any of Cut Copy's set?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I wasn't there to see M. Ward, but I have seen him at Park West and it was a great show.

    ReplyDelete