Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Radiohead albums: Rank 'em

In honor of Radiohead coming to Chicago this Friday, I've decided to share my ranking of their albums. I always find it a fun debate, as everyone seems to have an opinion on which albums are the best. I'm excluding Pablo Honey from my list because I don't have it and I've only heard "Creep."

1) OK Computer
This album will always have a special place in my heart. It was my first Radiohead album; I want to say I was a freshman or sophomore in high school when I got it. It's such a solid album from top to bottom, and it has a great mix of rockers, softer stuff, and crazy, spacey songs. I love how this album shows the band's transition in music styles. It has the rock elements of The Bends, which was released before it, and it has elements of the dark, creepy sounds, similar to what you hear on Kid A (which followed OK Computer). As much as I enjoy this album, I almost always skip over "Fitter, Happier." My favorite tracks (can't pick just one on this album) are "Lucky" and "Exit Music (for a Film)."


2) Kid A
This album really shocked me the first time I heard it. I was expecting something similar to OK Computer. When I pressed play and "Everything in its Right Place" started, I said, "What the hell is this?" But the dark, electronic-infused album that follows is simply genius. For being an album with a lot of weird noises, it has some great rock songs: "National Anthem" and "Optimistic" fit the bill. And "How to Disappear Completely" is a chilling and touching tune. I love the flow of this album. It's probably the one Radiohead disc I allow to play all the way through without skipping a song. The sequence of "Optimistic," "In Limbo," "Idioteque," and "Morning Bell" segues fantastically.


3) In Rainbows
In a time where they could have put out something mediocre, Radiohead instead produces their finest album in years. It created a ton of buzz with its "pay anything" download option, but aside from that, it's actually an enjoyable listen. Its opener, "15 Step" features the classic Radiohead bass-line change-up that takes the song into a completely different direction. I'd have to consider "Reckoner" one of my top 3 songs by the band, with its strong percussion and eerie vocals. It's one of those Radiohead songs that gives me chills with just about every listen.


4) Hail to the Thief
I like this album -- it has some of my favorite Radiohead songs -- but I think the band could have left a couple tracks off (especially toward the end). That said, I think "There There" is one of my favorite rock songs by any band. "Where I End and You Begin" is another example of a song with a classic Radiohead bass line: The part with about 1:30 left in the song where the bass cuts out and the drums take over, and then the bass comes back in -- that's what this band is all about.


5) The Bends
This was a tough choice -- I like this album and Hail just about the same, despite how different they are. And listening to this album and Kid A, it's hard to believe they were made by the same band. The Bends is a really great rock record. It also has some of my favorite heart-felt tunes, in "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit (Fade Out)." But over the years, I've found myself not listening to it as much as other Radiohead albums. So I almost feel bad for not ranking this album above Hail, but I just don't listen to it as much.


6) Amnesiac
I basically consider this album Kid A's younger brother. It's the least distinct out of their albums, and I skip over quite a few songs. I still think "You and Whose Army?" and "Like Spinning Plates" are great -- especially live -- but I would definitely vote this album as my least favorite.



Please feel free to share your rankings. I always find it interesting how people like their albums differently.

5 comments:

  1. GREAT post question. Gonna take me a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radiohead is tough to rank for me. The best album at the time really depends on my mood. If I had a gun to my head I would say.

    OK Computer
    Hail to the Thief
    Kid A
    In Rainbows
    The Bends
    Pablo Honey
    Amnesiac

    OD - check out Pablo Honey - more raw then any other album - but it has some great songs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really liked Radiohead until the past 5 or 6 years maybe.

    That being said I can't really rank albums I never gave a chance to, but I must say I am starting to appreciate some of the older stuff alot more. I always thought you kids who listened to them alot where going home and crankin the meat while crying and having Thom Yorke tell you how much it sucks to be a teenager. I know now it was much more than that and you guys were probably more musically mature than me at the time.

    So I'm gonna give it more time and get back to ya in a year with a longer list, but for now here it is.

    In Rainbows
    The Bends
    Hail to the Thief

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, here we go:

    1) KID A- My favorite Radiohead album is also the first one I ever bought or heard from them. From the first song I was sucked in, and the whole album has a track to track flow here that I don't think is really matched by any other album of theirs
    2) It's close, but it's gonna have to go to Hail to the Thief. I agree with OD-maybe a little overlong, but the meat of the album is really, really good.
    3)The Bends-Yes, in front of OK Computer, if only becuase everyone loves OK Computer so much, and tend to look at the Bends as the stepping stone to greater things rather than a great album in itself. THIS, not OK Computer, is where Radiohead really started developing their identity and confidence
    4a/4b-OK Computer & In Rainbows Tie- OK Computer is the Mamoth, but In Rainbows is as impressive to me becuase of the expectations heaped upon the band becuase of the oustanding back catalouge that OK Computer helped define. Both sound very similar in their middle sections, and both have their show-stopping beautiful songs(Lucky/House of Cards).
    6) Amnesiac-My least favorite album(and that's not saying anything BAD about it, really) by Radiohead ironically contains probably my favorite Radiohead song-I Might Be Wrong. Less cohesive than any other album, yet perhaps their darkest statement, Amnesiac has some very skippable songs-songs which others may just love as they skip over the ones I love....

    Great band, can't wait till friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Cool Topic:
    1) This is really the toughest one(I agree with jmoc mood-wise) for me but....Kid A. No album in my entire listening career has ever captured every ounce of my attention in 3 seconds! I was immediately taken to a completely different world and never stopped listening. Great flow!
    2) The Bends. Another one that just hits you right from the start. From "Planet Telex" and "Fake Plastic Trees" through "Iron Lung" and "Sulk"; different feels and strange moods that absolutely nail Radiohead's diverse, twisted beauty seemlessly. Over and over!
    3) Hail to the Thief: Whew, thank god it wasn't Kid A part 3! I was so relieved to hear something NEW! 2+2=5?! Not one of you posting on here can't say that you weren't rockin' out like you were back in high school when you found out that "YOU HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION!" Other favs include the rest of this album!
    4)OK Computer: The first album on this list with a track that I HAVE to skip. Sorry just can't dig on "Fitter, Happier." This album would be higher if the track weren't included because I LOVE everything else.
    5) In Rainbows: I haven't spent as much time with this one but I can't get over how beautiful some of these vocal melodies are. I am listening to "Nude" right now!(don't worry I am not) Not as strong of a flow but talk to me in a few weeks or months and "In Rainbows" may jump a spot or two on my list.
    6) Pablo Honey: jmoc hit it on the head again; there is some great music on this album well worth ownership. That being said, when compared to what would follow from this band, Pablo is just a little too young and under-produced.

    "I will seeee you in the neeext liiiiiiiiiiiiiife"

    ReplyDelete