Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resolute This



Let’s be honest, no one pays for music anymore, and this is far from a plea for the industry. I don’t pay for music, at least not recorded music. Rationalizing my actions isn’t very hard. I go to more shows now that I don’t purchase albums. Compact discs and mp3s are way over priced considering the product you receive. The music I listen to often isn’t easily attainable in the stores or on many of the purchase sites online, and if you think it’s hard to pay for something you can easily get for free, think about paying shipping on top of that. But this isn’t why I’m writing this. I want you to start paying for your music. I want to start paying for it, at least some of it.

Bands are starting to do the right thing, and yes this is only happening because people stopped buying music in the first place. It is finally starting to change, many bands release their music for free online before the album is ever released in stores. This gives you a chance to listen to the music, and if you like it, hopefully buy the high quality release when it comes out or maybe even buy tickets to the show when the bands in town.

I still feel guilty for downloading the free copy of Radiohead’s In Rainbows, and then never buying the album when it was actually released. It’d be one thing if the album wasn’t any good, or at least a sub par effort from the band, but it wasn’t. I spent money on the band’s shows and merchandise, but as much as I liked the album I should have bought it. I’m not trying to convince anyone to stop obtaining their music for free, but next time you obtain an album you really enjoy, think about finding an independent record store and buying it. Let’s call it an economic stimulation package.

Along these lines-

Dan Auerbach is worth your time and your money. Buy his album for $16 from Nonesuch.com and receive a 12” vinyl, a CD, and an mp3 download.
Not to mention free shipping on orders over $20. Go to his show too, March 6th at the Metro.









“I guess I could make a lot more money in music if I sang about happy shit, but that’s not me.”

2 comments:

  1. Hell yes. I agree completely! Not just about going to see Dan Auerbach, but about supporting artists you like in general.

    Although I do download a lot to "expand my musical interests", I still pay for CDs that I know are worth it, regardless of the ease of getting it for free. This is especially true for smaller and lesser known bands (Metallica doesn't need my $15).

    I'm really pumped about Dan's new album and will definitely get the vinyl even though I have nothing to play it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a cranky old man sometimes when I tell people I obtain all of my music legally (didn't always, I got clean) and that they should consider doing the same. As I've gotten more involved in my blog I now have access to some free music, but I still pay for what isn't offered, even if I check out the torrent for a preview.

    I guess these are the questions I would ask, if an album isn't worth purchasing, is it still worth having? What's the difference? And is it really alright to take music from a band that already has loads of money?

    I do agree, though, that going to concerts and paying for merchandise is a great (and probably the best) way to support your favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete