Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Walkmen, "You and Me"


I know I had this album in my top albums of 2008, but at the time I made my list, I had only been listening to it for a few weeks. I wasn't sure if it would really last as an album that I would listen to regularly. But that has turned out to not be the case.

In fact, I've been finding myself listening to The Walkmen's "You and Me" all the time lately. I can't stop. I'll listen to it multiple times in a day. And it really is an album in which I enjoy every song. I don't skip a single one.

"You and Me" reminds me, in a way, of The National's "Boxer." It's pretty mellow, and the songs have this underlying sadness, but at the same time, promise a feeling of hope. I find this positive, hopeful feeling summed up nicely in the song "In the New Year":

Oh I'm still living
At the old address
And I'm waiting on the weather
And I know it will pass
I know that it's true
It's gonna be a good year
Out of the darkness
And into the fire

I really enjoy the singer; he has a bit of Bob Dylan in him. The mood throughout the record is really enhanced by the subtle use of horns -- especially in the eighth track, "Canadian Girl." This is one of the most complete albums I've heard recently, and I don't see myself putting it down for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Great pic OD. Solid ass album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pretty sweet album. I love their album Everyone who Pretends a lot too from several years ago. I used to close out shifts at the Den with it back at PU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pretty sweet album. I love their album Everyone who Pretends a lot too from several years ago. I used to close out shifts at the Den with it back at PU.

    ReplyDelete