Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Top 5 Albums of 2008 - Claptrapped's Picks



Bryan O'Donnell
  1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  2. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
  3. TV on the Radio - Dear Science
  4. The Walkmen - You and Me
  5. M83 - Saturdays = Youth

Danny Haas

  1. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  2. Islands - Arm’s Way
  3. She & Him - Volume 1
  4. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
  5. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

Adam Kosecki

  1. Portishead - Third
  2. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
  3. Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
  4. Murs - Murs for President
  5. The Kills - Midnight Boom

Kurt Marquis

  1. Bonnie Prince Billy - Lie Down in the Light
  2. Q-Tip - The Renaissance
  3. Stereolab - Chemical Chords
  4. Stephen Malkmus - Real Emotional Trash
  5. Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

John O’Connell

  1. Elbow - Seldom seen Kid
  2. Anathallo - Canopy Glow
  3. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
  4. The Black Keys - Attack and Release
  5. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Jeff Totsch

  1. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
  2. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
  3. British Sea Power - Do you Like Rock Music

Mickey Waszkowski

  1. Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid
  2. Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint that Shit Gold
  3. The Heavenly States - Delayer
  4. Johnny Foreigner - Waited Up Til It Was Light
  5. Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

12 comments:

  1. Marquis, Real Emotional Trash has my favorite musical "moment" I think from this year. That part in the title track, about 6 minutes in where it builds and builds is so awesome.

    That album almost cracked my top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John I def dig the Bon Iver too. I think I just overplayed it and burnt myself out. Good single pick. Skinny Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've overplayed and burnt myself out on every one of the albums in my top 5. Isn't that what happens with the best albums of the year? Shouldn't that be a qualification?

    Black Keys is def in my top ten, it's really good, but there was nothing unexpected about the album. Nothing new for them. Just another solid Black Keys album. So it didn't make its way into the top five.

    She & Him is really good - I like it. That would be in my top ten. I should also point out that I got it because of this list.

    Jeff just called me and said his number 4 and 5 albums are Metalica and Guns 'n Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to give She & Him another listen, I wasn't too keen on it first time around.

    Yeah Haas, I probably played Skinny Love 786 times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out Rolling Stone's Top Albums. Thier list is pretty lame and predictable.

    http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/24958695/albums_of_the_year

    TV on the Radio was #1

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cause Rolling Stone is lame

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pitchfork got a bunch of bands to submit their 2008 favorites. It's pretty cool:

    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/147687-guest-list-best-of-2008

    Mickey, dude from Spoon put Heavenly States on his list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NPR Listeners Pick The Year's Best Music

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=98092448&ps=bb2

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys have, collectively, great taste! I'm glad Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, and Wolf Parade continue to get some love.

    I hope you don't mind if I put up a link to your blog from mine (chewinggumfortheears.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Horse Feathers - House with no Home
    2. Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestique
    3. Islands - Arm's Way
    4. Dr. Dog - Fate
    5. TV On the Radio - Dear Science,

    Haas told me no MGMT -- I had that as number 2. If the new Andrew Bird counted as 08, then that would likely make it in here, too. Honorable mentions to Kevin Drew, Bon Iver, Wolf Parade, Walter Meego, and some others I can't think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zarty Zart,

    You know we went to highschool with one of the dudes in Walter Meego? Colin Yarck.

    Glad to see you got the Islands on there. I have not seen one Best of 2008 list with them on it. UNDERated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed, obviously, and now I have to put the Pale Young Gentlemen album in the mix -- "The Crook of My Good Arm" got me good.

    ReplyDelete