Friday, December 19, 2008

The Wire: Best theme song?

If I've had a conversation with you in the past 6 months, there's a pretty good chance, at some point, I suggested that you watch HBO's "The Wire." I think the show's writing, characters, and themes are absolutely brilliant.

But on top of it being an excellent TV show, it has a really awesome opening credits theme. A unique aspect of the opening credits is that it features the same song -- "Way Down in the Hole," written by Tom Waits -- performed by a different artist each season.

Season 1 is performed by The Blind Boys of Alabama; Season 2 is Tom Waits; Season 3 is performed by the Neville Brothers; Season 4 is DoMaJe; and Season 5 is Steve Earle.

DoMaJe is a group made up of five teenagers from Baltimore (the setting of the show), and Steve Earle plays the character Walon (a recovering drug addict) in the show.

I enjoy all of the versions, with my favorite probably being Season 3. I just found the different versions of the same song to be really unique, on a show that could really do no wrong.

Season 1




Season 2




Season 3




Season 4




Season 5

6 comments:

  1. The song is actually titled "Way Down in the Hole" from Tom Waits' 1987 release, "Frank's Wild Years." An awesome song on an awesome Tom Waits album.

    This post was an eye-opener for me, as I've never watched The Wire. I'm partial to Tom Waits' version, because I cannot stand to hear his voice replaced, but the other versions certainly all deserve credit. Especially DoMaJe- teenagers who know who Tom Waits is, let alone like his music an cover it well, are top-notch in my books.

    OD - does this mean there's another Tom Waits fan on Claptrapped? I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really heard that much from him. But I've liked what I've heard. Any particular albums to check out other than "Frank's Wild Years"?

    I finished watching the series on DVD about a month ago, and I'd have to say it's my favorite show of all time. I was always hesitant to watch it because I usually don't dig "cop" shows. But this one is so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "favorite show of all time", im going to have to watch this OD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it's a compilation of mostly previously unreleased tracks, get his latest release "Orphans, Brawlers, and Bawlers". It's three disks and absolutely awesome. Or, next time we're going to see each other, I can simply give it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got "Rain Dogs" in my car. It's a fun listen... I'll bring it along as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Season 3 and 1 are both great. I think Season 3 wins out though.

    ReplyDelete