Saturday, January 16, 2010

Soundgarden To Reunite

For me, growing up in the grunge era, there was no greater band than Soundgarden. I pretty much went apeshit over everything they did, and had pretty much all of their albums (Save for Louder Than Love, which carried the dreaded parental advisory sticker on its cover... Mom was strict about that...). I had the "Black Hole Sun" T-shirt and went fucking bananas every time I was lucky enough to catch the movie Singles on cable. If you remember that movie, you can probably remember Chris Cornell abruptly walking into a scene where Matt Dillon's character installs a shitty car stereo on Bridget Fonda's character's car and bobs along with the tunes emanating from the car until the windows of the car shatter. Or maybe you remember that great scene where the entire band makes a cameo in that little dingy bar and rocks the shit out of "Birth Ritual", their official contribution to the soundtrack... Good times...

Alas, I would never get to see Soundgarden as they called it quits right about the time I was graduating high school, plus the region where I grew up didn't really offer up the copious amounts of show opportunities a lot of people here take for granted. However, it is my hope in the near future I get to write and/or speak the following phrase:

"I just got tickets to Soundgarden."

Apparently set to leave the Timbalands of the world, to the Timbalakes of the world, and announcing the news on his Twitter account, Chris Cornell proclaims: “The 12 year break is over & school is back in session. Sign up now. Knights of the Soundtable ride again!” Up until New Year's Day, 2010, when the big announcement was made, it always seemed like a reunion would be out of reach as it appeared the band was happy with the legacy that had been carved out for them. Last summer the Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron, and Ben Shepherd hopped on stage with Tom Morello and Tad Doyle of Tad during his solo tour, and this appeared to be the spark that set the flame (Video below). There has been little word of when the reunion will take place, but you can bet your sweet ass this Claptrapper will be in attendance.

2 comments:

  1. I am so in. Singles best soundtrack ever. Cameo by Alice in Chains as well. You seemed like more of a STP fan, G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soundgarden was always in my top 3 of the 90's. Pearl Jam STP and Soundgarden. I am pretty happy this reunion is going down too. Cornell probably has one of the best rock voices ever bestowed on a man and has been wasting it with his recent garbage projects. (After Listening to his latest solo effort with Timbaland it will take years before I can respect this man again)

    ReplyDelete