Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot overrated?

First off, I realize I am in the minority among Claptrappers in terms of my feelings for Wilco's 2002 album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, so I want to be clear I'm not speaking for the entire group here. Taking a look at our favorite albums of the 2000s, 4 out of 6 of us pegged the album in the top 10 albums of the decade -- and all four had it in the top 3. The album also made high showings on numerous other top-decade lists, including Rolling Stone, Paste, and Pitchfork.

I did not include YHFT in my top 10 of the decade, and even though I don't find the album to be bad, particularly, I guess I just don't see (or rather, hear) what all the fuss is about. I almost feel like everyone is in love with the story behind the album, more so than the music itself. Take a look at Paste's review (it was ranked No. 2).

Here's an excerpt: "Yankee has come to represent everything that’s wrong with the music business: tone-deaf executives, a gross misunderstanding of online music, an institutionalized pandering to the lowest common denominator that obstructed the release of a timeless rock classic. And yet, on another level, Yankee’s success means that the system works. The record did come out, full of glorious static and muffled drums and conflicted patriotism. People did buy it."

A vast majority of the reasoning for including the album in its top albums of the decade is not music related -- it's about the perseverance of the band. I admit, it's a good story. I've seen the "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" documentary, and it's enjoyable. But for me, I don't find the songs to have much pull that makes me want to listen over and over.

For this post, I listened to the album in entirety to see if I was forgetting something. Here are my thoughts:

- First track, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," is a good opener. I like the drums and when the keys crescendo at the end. One of my favorite songs on the album.

- I like Kamera, too. It's upbeat and simple, with cool noises in the background. The first 3 out of 4 songs on this album are its best moments, I feel.

- "Radio Cure" is way too slow and boring for me. I basically always skip this song to get to the album's best song, "War on War."

- The next couple tracks -- "Jesus, Etc." and "Ashes of American Flags" make me think of a person yawning. They just don't do much for me. The 9/11 connection with "Ashes" (and how the album cover features "two towers") is kind of cool, but doesn't make me want to listen to the song.

- "Heavy Metal Drummer" is the most radio-friendly song on the album. I'm kind of sick of it, and out of their radio songs, I'd rather hear "Theologians."

- "I'm The Man Who Loves You" is a pretty catchy tune. I do like this one.

- The final three tracks, for me, just don't do much for me. Again, they're not bad songs, but I usually find myself turning off the album after "I'm the Man Who Loves You." I just don't think the songs have that "pull."

I knew this album would make a good showing in lists of top albums of the decade, but was surprised by how consistently high it ranked. So help this Claptrapper out -- tell me what makes this album so great. Is it the story, the mystique of the album? Or is it the songs that make it great?

8 comments:

  1. OD I totally respect your opinion and to each his own. But I feel sorry for you they you don't get it. For me, it was not because of the "story." I had know idea about how this album changed the industry until I saw the DVD "I'm not trying to break your heart." Wilco is one of my favorite bands because of this album and yes because of the songs. I don't have this intense song by song explanation of why I think it's great. To me it just is, no more complicated than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be back on here to destroy what you have done here OD, but in the mean time just one thing...

    Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was recorded in early 2001. Way before Sept 11th. It is a common misperception that any of the songs have anything to do with it or the two Marina towers having a connection with the World Trade towers. But obviously people make that connection....which makes the album even cooler in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean that they put the Marina towers on there because of Sept. 11. Or "Ashes of American Flags" is about Sept. 11. But since the album came out when it did, people will make that connection, thus adding to the "mystique" of the album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't not agree with you od. Rservations is a booooring ass song. So boring.

    You did forget about Pot Kettle Black: great track towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OD, you're such a contrarian. You only make posts like this and PJ vs. Nirvana to get a rise out of Apehands. It's kinda BS. It makes me question your credibility as a writer and a person.

    But on the topic I just feel YHFT is a more complete album than had been produced in a long time and since. Taking the songs individually sort of ruins what YHFT is to me. The flow and ins and outs are what makes the album great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you OD - I love many of the albums on lists like this: http://pitchfork.com/peopleslist/ but I can't for the life of me understand why people rate Yankee Hotel Foxtrot so highly. It's a perfectly good album and I enjoy listening to it occasionally, but it pales in comparison to the work of Radiohead, The National, Animal Collective, The Flaming Lips, Fleet Foxes, Modest Mouse, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear etc. (the list goes on)

    ReplyDelete