Friday, January 15, 2010

Vampire Weekend Review

The new Vampire Weekend album is out and, to be honest, its exactly what I expected.  A flop.  A regurgitation of past material with an electronic direction.  I heard earlier in the year when the singles "Horchata" and "Cousins" came out that they would be using M.I.A. samples and going for more dance music.  Those singles didn't sound too heavy on production but  I was instantly skeptical.  Not that I don't like electronic music, I just knew I would not like Vampire Weekend on top of dance music.  If you go back to 2008 you can see that I had their debut in my top 5 of the year so I am not just reaffirming hatred for them.  This new album 'Contra' from the start made me want to seek out hipsters drinking Horchatas and see if they were doing it because Vampire Weekend told them to.  The album goes on from there and is filled with eccentricities that they hold dear or are just trying to get out there and establish a new trend.  The mix of a very crisp and natural guitar next to very processed sound may appeal to some but I think they have gone too far.  The song "California English" is a perfect example of this and is probably one of the worst experimental songs you could ever hear.  You tell me.  Are they playing the vocals in reverse and what the fuck is he signing about?  Rice Cakes?  Ohhh you are sooo cool.  Please tell me about other weird things you think are cool, I gotta write them down!

I did mention that I liked Vampire Weekend right? I liked them when they didn't find it necessary to sample so much or process their music so much. Leave that to Hot Chip.  The sound they had on the first record is apparent on 'Contra" but is completely distracted by all the superficial lyrics and beat machines.  I wish they would have just kept it simple again.   I suppose I don't dislike everything about the record and there are moments where enticing music shines through.  "Holiday", for example, sounds like it could have been on the first record and would make for a good party song.  There are some smooth melodies in between the unnecessary rhythmic samples on other songs as well.   Bands evolve and I usually like it, but sometimes I think this band is going to end up like the dodo.



Claptrappers, can you think of any other bands where you loved their first record and became completely disinterested on the next? 

5 comments:

  1. Happens a lot. AHands will probably chuckle at this but I was a big fan of Snow Patrols first album, and the second not so much (Grey's Anatomied). Same with the Zuton's debut. Cold War Kids had a definite drop after their debut as well. And from what's been leaked of the new Hot Chip, I'm afraid their heading down that way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked early Snow Patrol too. Cold War Kids second effort was weaker but didn't make me dislike them.

    Hot Chip had an album before Made in the Dark. "The Warning" I always liked that one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not as good as the first, but I think it's a decent follow up. Not sure if you wanted it to be the same or different, or which is the problem, because you accuse it of being both. I wouldn't call it a regurgitation of past material... examples?

    I don't mind the electronic presence. It's not overwhelming. It doesn't overshadow the songwriting. It's not weird for the sake of being weird.

    Taxi Cab is a very nice song. Giving Up the Gun. Lots of good songs on this album.

    I'm also sorry to hear that you are faulting them for having a hipster following. You're judging the band on the fans? I expect more from you. Are you reviewing the music or the social scene that has developed in its wake?

    That being said, I hate California English. I think that it would be a great album without it and the song Contra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no i dont hate that they have a hipster following. i hate the hipster lyrics littered throughout. and yes I dont like hipsters who dont have an opinion and just follow a trend. When I say regurgitation of past material I follow it with an "electronic direction". What i'm saying is I think its like the past music with this like extra track on top of worthless electronic garb. I wish they would have just kept it simple. I find it to be overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that when I heard the album first I kinda liked it. It was catchy and not overly experimental/weird. Because that is often what kills me over band's second albums.

    I don't want to judge them based on their listeners, but I know I am going to get sick of it when it starts showing up in commercials and my nephews start listening to it.

    Other classic examples of bad second albums:

    Onyx - Bacdafucup was awesome, All We Got Iz Us not so much.

    Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of... had lyrics to live by.But has anyone even heard of Zingalamaduni.

    Even Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme, proudly my first tape, but Mind Blowin flopped.

    What can I say? I think a lot of band's first album have songs that are several years in the making which they take care of like sweet little babies. But the second album is a lot harder. There are songs that weren't good enough for the first album or that they wrote during the week they were in the studio and did not put enough time into.

    ReplyDelete