Monday, July 27, 2009

No. 12: Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend broke big in 2008 with their debut album of the same name. Riding a wave of favorable word of mouth through blogs and glowing critic reviews, you could almost say they got too big too fast as they are seen by some as the latest holders of the "mainstream indie" crown previously held by Death Cab For Cutie. Despite their meteoric rise, the New York foursome plan to release their sophomore effort, which has yet to be named, later this year. The band is made up of Ezra Koenig (Guitar), Rostam Batmanglij (Organ), Chris Thomson (Drums), and Chris Baio (Bass), and rose through the indie ranks playing house parties in the ultra-hip Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg.

Vampire Weekend mixes afrobeat influences with tight fluttery guitars, and sing mostly about life in the big city. Their music is something I don't particularly enjoy, per say, but I can see why they have garnered all this success in such a short amount of time. It could be because their music makes me feel like I'm trapped in a Wes Anderson movie.... I don't know..... Maybe their newest album will win me over, but since they are up against Neko Case, their live show probably won't either.




2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Not really a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Vampires becasue they are all the rage right now. Is everything Vampire or is it just me?

    Trapped in a Wes Anderson movie...haha I can see that.

    VW's debut was a great disc, but it does get old and they will have to prove themselves with whatever they come out with next.

    ReplyDelete