Sunday, July 5, 2009

No. 34: White Lies


I was excited when I saw the cover of White Lies' only album, "To Lose My Life..." To me it looked like a shout-out to Pink Floyd's "Animals" cover. Whether White Lies intended this effect or not -- the band doesn't share much in common with Pink Floyd, other than that they're from England. My excitement disappeared right around track 3, I'd say.

White Lies is a four-member band that formed only a couple years ago. They were originally called Fear of Flying, but changed their name to White Lies because they thought it sounded "darker" and it reflected their maturity. They have recently toured with other 2009 Lollapalooza performers Glasvegas and Friendly Fires.

I'd say they sound like Tears for Fears and maybe the Killers. Some people compare them to Interpol, but I don't really hear it. A lot of what they do doesn't excite me much. The lead singer's voice grates on me at times, and they don't do anything ground-breaking musically. Not to mention that the lyrics can be pretty brutal: "I won an $800,000 game show, but it's not enough to win her back / As my tears hit the floor, he still said no; come on man give me some slack." Ech.

I would probably avoid White Lies at Lollapalooza. They have the Friday 2:00 slot on the Budweiser main stage. Go figure.

White Lies on Myspace

1 comment:

  1. I read they compare themselves to, or list as a major influence, Talking Heads which peaked my interest, but as OD said the album disapoints.

    ReplyDelete