Wednesday, July 1, 2009

No. 38: The Raveonettes

The Raveonettes are originally from Copenhagen, Denmark. When I first heard them, I figured they had at least two female singers. However, the band is only made up of two members: Sune Rose Wagner (guitar and vocals) and Sharin Foo (bass, guitar, and vocals). (Sune is a guy.)

They play a pretty simple brand of music with lots of noise. It has kind of a 1950s rock-type feel -- but with a whole bunch of distortion. It's a good sound. Their latest album, "Lust Lust Lust," is solid. The vocal harmonies are great and the guitars really soar. I enjoy the first half of the album immensely, but I think the second half drones on a little. It's not bad; it just doesn't really grab me. But the first half of the album is definitely worth checking out.

Anyone who knows my thoughts on two-member bands live can probably figure out if I will be in attendance for their Lolla spot. (Here's a hint: probably not.) The have a 3:30 slot on Sunday, competing with Gang Gang Dance, Dan Deacon, and Hollywood Holt. I'll probably be content to enjoy the Raveonettes on CD.

Here are some pretty good live clips of two of my favorite songs from "Lust Lust Lust":
Blush

Hallucinations


They also have their own YouTube channel, where they give commentary on a bunch of their songs. It's pretty neat.

The Raveonettes on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment