Monday, July 6, 2009

No. 33: Heartless Bastards

Heartless Bastards first piqued my interest a couple years ago. One of their songs was included in a collection of free songs given away at Lollapalooza 2007. The song, the title track from their second album, "All This Time," wasn't anything out of the ordinary -- just a really good rock-and-roll song.

Now a couple years later and finally getting the chance to check out a couple of their albums in entirety, I have a very similar feeling toward the band. I really enjoy their music, even though they play simple blues rock.

Heartless Bastards is centered around Erika Wennerstrom (guitar and vocals). She has been the mainstay in the band throughout its three albums. The current lineup features Wennerstrom, Jesse Ebaugh (bass), and Dave Colvin (drums). The band comes from Cincinnati, and Patrick Carney of the Black Keys helped them release their first album, "Stairs and Elevators."

My favorite aspect of the band is probably Wennerstrom's voice. And if I were to compare her voice, I'd probably have to compare it to male singers. I actually think she kind of sounds like the singer from Cold War Kids (anyone agree with me?). Regardless, I find her voice and songwriting interesting. I like how she repeats lyrics for emphasis.

I haven't seen Heartless Bastards live, but I'm looking forward to getting a sample of them this year at Lollapalooza. They have the 3:00 slot on Friday, which might provide a conflict for Bon Iver fans. I'd say even if you can't check them out at Lolla, give their albums a listen.

Heartless Bastards on Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment