Tuesday, July 7, 2009

No. 32: Coheed and Cambria

I'm sure it's been said before, but imagine a band like Yes having sex with Metallica and King Crimson. The bastard child produced would undoubtedly be Coheed and Cambria. This band is dark prog metal in every sense of the term. Just listen to a couple songs and you'll get your fair share of crazy time signatures and hairpin guitar solos at every turn with a few emo touches here and there. I could almost describe them as Mastodon lite, but that doesn't mean I enjoy them any less. Being a huge fan of the prog ilk like Phish, Tool, Rush, and Umphrey's McGee, I doff my cap to bands that can come up with absurdly intricate compositions. My only wish is that front man Claudio Sanchez' vocals were just a little bit deeper. Think Geddy Lee's evil twin.

Back when I was working at FYE in college, the store had a demo copy of their album In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, which was mostly enjoyable, but the fun "fact" here is that supposedly the album matches up perfectly with Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Now I have no idea if that's true or not, but if you have some time to kill, let me know if it works out. The band, like most other prog bands, have created their own little universe that stems from a science fiction epic that was penned by Sanchez titled The Amory Wars. This story is a common thread in all of their albums centering around a character named Jesse "The Prize Fighter Inferno", resulting in their albums becoming more novel-like.

One of their songs, Welcome Home, is one of the playable songs on the video game Rockband, and is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Having never seen them live, I can imagine they are just as awesome in person. I think catching their show might be a hard sell for the rest of my Lolla crew, but I might just have to do it by my own damn self if it comes down to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment