Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No. 69: Foxy Shazam

"How did I get signed up for this?" were my initial thoughts listening to Foxy Shazam's 2008 release Introducing. I could not help but find the band's lead singer, Eric Sean Nally, to be a plain out obnoxious drunk (even if he was sober). His raucous over dramatic delivery of his lyrics was way too much for me. Instrumentally the music is playful and theatrical, but not necessarily impressive. But maybe I shouldn't be a complete hater. It's punk pop for the younger generation. Seemingly attention starved, Nally's in-your-face style may just provide the erratic and constant stimulation the Y-generation needs.

Listening to Foxy's 2010 self-titled release the group has definitely gotten it together. I dig it from the very beginning in which Nally starts the album by announcing “There sure are a lot of dogs out this evening, perhaps they can assist me in a song” followed by a barking choir. This album is much cleaner and more radio friendly with evident hooks in Count Me Out and Unstoppable and power ballads like Bye Bye Symphony. From their sound, I would expect big hair, a laser light show, groupies galore, with all of the works. We will see how they hold up at Lolla.

Where you may have heard them before: their single Unstoppable was featured in Super Bowl XLIV
Sounds like: Queen, Fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment