Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No. 50: Minus the Bear

One of two bands with the word "bear" in their name playing at Lollapalooza this year, Minus the Bear hails from Seattle. And I'd have to say, "minus" is a pretty appropriate word to describe this band. I don't hate them, or think I would immediately switch the channel if they came on the radio, but they don't grab my attention either.

At least on their latest album, Omni, which was released last May, there isn't much of anything original going on. Bland alternative rock, with a hint of psychedelic keyboard, and pretty annoying vocals don't really much for me. The group has been around since 2001, so it's possible some of their older material is better.

Contrary to what it probably sounds like, I don't completely hate this band. But I'm sure I'll be much more likely to check out the other "bear" band at Lolla -- Grizzly Bear. Minus the Bear plays on Sunday at 3:00, up against Mumford & Sons.

Minus the Bear on MySpace

Here's a video that does a pretty good job of summing up how lame this band can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment