Monday, June 14, 2010

No. 60: The Cribs

Keeping with my theme of previewing "The [fill in the blank]" bands, The Cribs are an English indie rock band. They have some punk rock in them, and they kind of remind me of The Strokes. I saw them play at the Double Door a couple years ago, and they were honestly very underwhelming. The sounds wasn't great, and a lot of their songs sounded exactly the same. (Side note: Luckily, the night was salvaged by the opening band, Ra Ra Riot -- who I had never heard before. But that's another story.)

The Cribs released their fourth album, Ignore the Ignorant, last year. I haven't heard much of it (screw you Apple for shutting down Lala), but I have their 2007 effort, Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever, and it leaves me feeling pretty similar to their live shows -- not very impressed.

The group did add former Smiths and Modest Mouse guitarist, Johnny Marr, so maybe he could make a difference for some people. Probably not me, though. It's basically a sure-thing that I will not be in attendance when The Cribs take the stage at Lollapalooza at 2:00 on Sunday -- they play at the same time as Blitzen Trapper, a band I am very excited to see.

The Cribs on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment