Wednesday, June 23, 2010

No. 54: Blitzen Trapper

For me, Blitzen Trapper is definitely one of my "must see" bands at this year's Lolla. I was first introduced to the Portland natives about two years back by a girl I used to work with. I was always curious about the band... I had seen them in a Rolling Stone I had at the time, and was always intrigued by their logo- something that looked like it came straight off the cover from a 70's classic rock album (See their album cover for Furr for proof). She gave me a CD she burned of the aforementioned album, and while I was not fully blown away, I did really like its rusty, dusty feel, as well as the songs that seem like they came straight outta '70's pop radio (Do you see a theme here?). I became a fan after letting songs like "Sleepytime In The Western World", "God And Suicide", and the tremendous murder ballad "Black River Killer" marinate into my brain and daily consciousness for about a month straight. I even went so far as to give it an Honorable Mention in my list of top albums from 2008 last year.

Furr could only give me a hint of what was to come in the form of the just released Destroyer Of The Void. This album will, mark my words, be one of my, if not some of you other Claptrapper's top albums of 2010 before the year is through. With this album, Blitzen uses a sniper rifle with a laser sight to hit the bullseye instead of a shotgun. What I mean by that is that while I find most of their older albums enjoyable, it seems like they were trying to paint with too broad a brush. Older Blitzen albums seem to run the gamut from country twang to prog to noise rock, but Void succeeds where those don't by showcasing the more rustic, operatic side of the band. When listening to the title track, comparisons to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" come and go, but true to the influence, the song will take you on quite a journey filled with rousing and demure moments alike. The album also boasts a new murder ballad, "The Man Who Would Speak True" that is truly on par with it's predecessor in scope and hyperbole.

Please do your Lolla-going self a justice and seek out this band before you get there. Then you can be as pumped as I am about seeing them instead of another pervasive Lady Gaga knockoff.




1 comment: