Friday, June 11, 2010

No. 61: The Walkmen

The Walkmen formed in 2000 with members from the Washington, DC area. Musically, the band reminds me a little of The National, but probably a little more upbeat. And vocally, The Walkmen bear little resemblance to The National, as lead singer Hamilton Leithauser belts out a unique, almost Dylan-esque voice.

The band's most recent album, You & Me, is a favorite of mine. It's a thoughtful, artistic, and satisfying collection of songs. I find it hard to find a song I don't like on the album. As much as I enjoy The Walkmen's studio work, however, I find them a tad disappointing live. Disappointing might be the wrong word -- I just don't get the same satisfaction from their songs in a live setting. However, I would still suggest going to see them at Lollapalooza if you get there early on Friday. (They kind of got hosed with a 1:00 slot.)

The group should have a new album out sometime in August, so maybe look forward to some new tunes.

The Walkmen on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment