Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No. 49: Dan Black

Dan Black is British pop electronica singer who hails from London. He has some good techno mixes that reminds me of stuff from Daft Punk, but when he opens his mouth it destroys it. I agree with a reviewer from Dot Music, "However much electro trickery he has at his fingertips, he needs some songs first". For example listen to "Pass That Head Noise", starts out with a solid beat then plops once the vocals come into play. I don't think hes terrible, I just think he needs to work more on integrating his voice into his music, just doesn't sound right to me. I am one person however and he obviously has many fans. I will absolutely give him credit for playing with a full band on stage, not many electronica bands bring everything live to the stage. The best song I think is the much slower "Let Go", just seems to flow much better with the vocals. He has been around the music industry playing in the alternative band The Servant since 1998, so he does have the stage presence. Dan Black will be playing at the BMI stage at 3:00 on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm ... granted, I am a massive fan so probably a little biased ... but I LOVE the sound of Dan's voice on "Pass That Head Noise"! His album ((un)) is full of original AND reinterpreted tunes ... I think he's a musical genius and wish I lived back in the UK so I could get the opportunity to see him live.

    ReplyDelete