Saturday, July 17, 2010

No. 31: Wild Beasts


Wild Beasts from Kendal in England's Lake District have drawn some standard geographical comparisons to bands like Elbow and I Am Kloot. Their sound isn't as similar as their roots but I can see where a comparison may have been made. I tend to compare the band to one of my favorites, The Talking Heads.

With all that said and the high standards their comparisons have set I'm not all that big a fan of the music and that's for one main reason, the lead vocals. I've heard this complaint from others before in reference to bands such as Passion Pit, Modest Mouse, and Gomez among others and have had a similar problem with The National and Wilco, but after enough listening learned to live with and then love the peculiar vocals. My thought has always been if the music is good the vocals will fall into place. I'm not sure if that theory will continue to fly with Wild Beasts.

Hayden Thorpe's voice is said to be countertenor, and I can't take it or at least a whole albums worth. I enjoy some of their songs especially Devil's Crayon and All the King's Men and of their two albums I think I slightly prefer their latest Two Dancers, but as an entire collection his voice tends to turn me off. It may end up growing on me, it's not looking good though. Wild Beasts got a pretty good time slot on Saturday at 1:15, I may try to catch them after Rogue Wave and hope that the music drowns out most of the vocals.

Wild Beasts on MySpace

The Official Site of Wild Beasts

No comments:

Post a Comment