Tuesday, July 13, 2010

No. 35: Grizzly Bear

Grizzly Bear is what I would call a solid band. The Brooklyn foursome isn't flashy, but they make really good music. I guess I'd describe their sound as a variety of experimental folk. Their 2009 album, Veckatimest, was one of my top 5 albums from that year, and I still listen to it quite often. I haven't listened to much of their older albums, but I can tell you from Veckatimest that they are a very technical band -- it sounds like they worked really hard to make their songs sound great. And I think the hard work paid off.

I've never seen Grizzly Bear live, but I've read they bring the same intensity and meticulous nature to the stage (which I definitely respect a lot). As much as I like this band, I have in fact passed up on seeing them a couple times. I feel like they're a very skipable band at a music festival for some reason. Like they're the band you want to see, but instead go get a slice of pizza. This year at Lollapalooza has the potential for me skipping them again -- they play at 4:15 on Saturday, conflicting with both Gogol Bordello and Dawes. So I'm not really sure if I will be checking them out, even though I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed at all.
Grizzly Bear on MySpace

1 comment:

  1. missing them live is a big mistake

    ReplyDelete