Tuesday, July 13, 2010

No. 36: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros have appeared on Claptrapped before and in my first review I wrote that they sounded a bit 'chanty' and over joyous but they were no doubt a band even your Mom might like.  I even picked their single '40 Day Dream' as one of my favorite tracks of '09. Over time I have now come to respect them more.  They are a hard touring band and have made 4 stops in Chicago in the last year alone.  I love bands that work hard for the money.  They now have songs featured in Ford Fiesta commercials and the soundtrack to the John C. Reilly flick 'Cyrus'.  They have really made some headway for a relatively new band.  More of the songs off the record have grown on me and I can see myself bringing their debut record 'Up From Below' on camping trips with me for the rest of my life.  Its a great summer disc and one that will continue to accompany other camping favorites like Fleet Foxes, Rusted Root, Old Dylan, Otis Redding, and acoustic Zeppelin.

I would definitely check out Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros at Lolla.  I have never seen them live, but they appear to be crowd pleasers.  Their music is simple and perfect for an outdoor festival.  With only one album out so far you will be sure to hear one of your favorites. Bring a wide angle lens if you plan on taking pics since they have a whole mess of people in the band. If you can't seem them at Lolla they are playing an after show at Lincoln Hall for 14 bucks.

Check out the Tiny Desk Concert they played for NPR.

No comments:

Post a Comment