Monday, May 25, 2009

Interview with Joe Pug

Up-and-coming folk singer Joe Pug recently took the time to answer a few questions I had for him about touring, his influences, and Lollapalooza. Click here to read my Lollapalooza preview of Joe Pug.

Claptrapped: What made you decide to come to Chicago? Why did you decide to leave school, and why did you choose Chicago over any other city?

Joe Pug: I chose Chicago because it was affordable and romantic. I had no idea that I would be playing music, so I didn't choose it for its music scene. That was just a fortunate surprise.


CT: What is it like touring and playing huge music festivals at such a young age?

JP: You learn your trade very quickly when you're playing on bills with old pros. But that keeps it interesting for me.


CT: A lot of people compare you to Bob Dylan. Was he one of your biggest influences? What types of music did you listen to growing up? (And what do you listen to now?)

JP: I listen to songwriters who are a genre all to themselves: John Prine, Elliot Smith, Warren Zevon, Kurt Cobain, Steve Earle, Beck.


CT: Have you gotten a chance to check out the Lollapalooza lineup? Are there certain bands you're looking forward to sharing the stage with, or watching as a fan?

JP: I really like Ezra Furman out of Chicago. And I haven't had a chance to see his live show, so hopefully this will be it.


CT: In the future do you see yourself playing with a full band, or do you enjoy playing solo?

JP: I'll end up with a band one day. But I've still got a couple things left to prove by myself!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! Just checked out Ezra Furman, excited to see them at Lolla.

    ReplyDelete