Friday, May 22, 2009

No. 77: Other Lives


The Other Lives, a band from Stillwater, Oklahoma, is comprised of five members. Their music features a mix of guitar, piano, drums, and cello.

Even though they come from the Bible Belt the Other Lives remind me of bands from England; I have found this to be an increasing trend in American music. I have come across other people comparing the band to Radiohead, specifically their self titled album to Radiohead's Hail to the Thief. I understand the comparison but wouldn't have gone there first. Other Lives sounds much more solemn than Radiohead, even in the more somber songs. I find the band sounds closer to the Doves or even Elbow, but none of their songs are very upbeat in tempo or feel, which is what keeps me from comparing them more favorably to those bands.

At Lolla this year I won't plan on seeing Other Lives unless they play in a fairly open spot. It might be worth a look just to see a band that performs and records at all times with that combination of instruments. They just seem too solemn for an outdoor festival and maybe better suited for a smaller venue on a colder rainy day.

Other Lives on MySpace

1 comment:

  1. This band was the best band I saw at Lollapalooza. It was pooring down rain.... They Blew me away. A very energetic set compared to the record....really caught me off guard...I can see why they booked this band. People were walking up from everywhere wondering who they were...It was a very memorable moment.

    ReplyDelete