Thursday, May 21, 2009

No. 78: The Builders and the Butchers

Pots and pans, claps of hands, shouting, lots of noise, The Builders and the Butchers are what I've been waiting for, a band I had heard very little of before that I now am very excited to see at this years Lollapalooza.


The Builders and Butchers hale from Alaska but did not resemble what they are now until making a move to Portland, Oregon. It was there that lead singer, Ryan Sollee, became interested with pre 1950s American Music. The marriage of that sound and his earlier love of punk music can best describe the music the band plays today. The band will be releasing their latest album, Salvation is a Deep Dark Well, on June 30th; the album features production work from The Decemberists' Chris Funk.

I would most compare the band to someone like Anathallo and the lead singer has a very familiar voice but I just can't place it. The Butchers and Builders have also been referred to as "Decemberistesque" I understand the comparisson but think it maybe partially guilt by association this bamd grew on me much quicker than The Decemberists did at first.



The Builders and The Butchers on MySpace


The Builders and The Butchers Official Site

1 comment:

  1. The Builders and the Buthcers are amazing .. I heard about them a few months ago and really dug their music immediately. I heard they were going to be touring this summer so hopefully an NYC date will be in the works ..

    their live vids look pretty good as well. Click on my posting name to see some videos.

    ReplyDelete