Sunday, May 31, 2009

No. 68: Sam Roberts Band


Ah Canada, have we thanked you for Nickelback yet? After producing such musical genius, maybe we should put a guitar in the hand of every Canadian youth and skip the hockey stick. Sam Roberts is a Canadian front man, but don’t worry, the similarities to Chad Kroeger stop there.

After fronting several independent bands with varying degrees of local success, Sam Roberts released a six-song EP in 2001, The Inhuman Collection. The EP enjoyed little early success but after a rerelease in 2002, the EP's first single “Brother Down” became one of the biggest Canadian singles that year. Since then, Sam Roberts has released three full-length albums including his most recent Love at the End of the World. The band has reached the top of the Canadian charts several times and has won a Juno Award, but has yet to enjoy similar success outside of the Great White North.

I enjoy listening to Sam Roberts Band, particularly The Inhuman Collection EP, however some of his later releases failed to build on his original EP. The band's sound is similar to that of Jane’s Addiction and the Stone Temple Pilots more mellow tracks, and sometimes they remind me of the simpler Beatles songs. The Sam Roberts Band probably shouldn’t even be allowed to carry the equipment of any of these greats nor do I see the potential for them to do so, but I think they will fit well at an outdoor festival, so I will probably give them a listen at this year's Lolla.

Sam Roberts Band on MySpace


Sam Roberts Band Official Site


I'll probably get called out real soon for being a Nickelback fan, so I will come out and say it now: I don't find them as repulsive as I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment