Friday, May 15, 2009

Lolla band preview, No. 84: Thenewno2

Being the final band listed on the Lollapalooza lineup card, I wasn't expecting much from London-based Thenewno2. But I actually like what I hear. Thenewno2 is a two-man operation akin to MGMT. They use a lot of spacey effects, and most of their songs center around a dark bass line and drums.

A cool tidbit about the group: Lead singer/guitarist Dhani Harrison is none other than the son of George Harrison. I wouldn't say that the band sounds much like the Beatles, but every once in awhile, the vocals sound like George.

From what I've heard from them, the music itself is pretty simple, but dark. They don't space out with crazy guitar solos; they usually stick to one main groove and add a lot of cool effects. I actually think I will check these guys out at Lollapalooza. Their album "You are here" is definitely worth picking up. Some highlights include: "So vain," "Give you love," "Yomp," and "Shelter."

Sound like: Secret Machines, MGMT

Check them out:

No comments:

Post a Comment