Saturday, May 8, 2010

Deftones- Diamond Eyes

I know we are doing the whole Lolla thing right now, but I just had to make a post about an album that I can't seem to get out of my head or my stereo lately. Deftones released their 6th studio album Diamond Eyes this week and it is by far their best in quite some time. After being sidelined in 2008 as a result of a car wreck that nearly killed their bassist, Chi Cheng, and scrapping Eros, an album they had completed with Chi right around the time of the accident, most thought Deftones would never reclaim the success they enjoyed after their breakthrough album, White Pony. I have been a fan ever since high school, but kind of fell out of touch with the band after 2003's Deftones, an album I felt wasn't their best effort. A couple years back, I rediscovered them as a result of 2006's excellent Saturday Night Wrist and have been immersed in Diamond Eyes ever since its release.

Deftones are not for the faint of heart. I have always admired the way the band has melded their punishing brand of alt-metal with lyrics that crackle with an undercurrent of an almost sexual desperation. A style that is especially showcased by Chino Moreno's vocals on such tracks as "Beauty School" and "Sextape". Deftones also have a knack for cranking out jarring atmospherics like on "Prince" where guitarist Stephen Carpenter and fill-in bassist Sergio Vega (Of Quicksand) create the sonic equivalent of icepicks tearing through a satin bedspread (Imagery!). Drummer Abe Cunningham and keyboardist Frank Delgado round out the quintet with pounding beats and freaky washes on the breakneck tune "Rocket Skates" as well as the lazy stoner strut on "You've Seen The Butcher".

Diamond Eyes also represents a new direction for the band. As I have mentioned, the original lineup is not here due to the ongoing recovery of Cheng. Before the accident occured, it was reported Moreno almost left the band, dissolving it entirely. It remains to be seen how the new lease they have found with Vega will affect the band on future albums. Do they continue on this path and keep making fresh strides toward critical acclaim with Vega, or do they tread the beaten path with Cheng? It appears only time will tell. But for the present, Deftones have suceeded in making one of the most interesting albums of 2010, and the album of the year thus far for this Claptrapper.

1 comment:

  1. The girl in the video is hot, but I can't lie to ya. Hated the song. Though I am not really into metal at all. Just the old stuff. I am faint of heart I guess.

    ReplyDelete