Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sleigh Bells

Sleigh Bells is an electro-pop/rock duo from Brooklyn, NY, consisting of Alexis Krauss – vocalist and Derek Miller – guitarist, beatmaker and songwriter. A friend actually introduced to Sleigh Bells this past winter and I remember checking out their MySpace page and while I didn’t hate it, I recall the song I listened to being a bit too noisy for me. I later came across Sleigh Bells’ SXSW performance and listened to it the entire way through. I’ll be the first to say that I don’t know all that much about music and it often just comes down to if I want to keep listening or not. I have to say I was captivated. Sleigh Bells is more intense than the music I normally listen to, but they have a lot of songs that just make me want to just be dancing and singing along in a huge crowd.
Sleigh Bells’ first album, Treats, which they worked on with M.I.A., is being released May 11th. You can check it out now on NPR though. While some songs like "Treats" tend to be more severe and others like "Rill Rill" (or "Ring Ring," in which the beginning makes me feel like I’m in a Big Lebowski dream) are a bit more whimsical, the overall album is melodic, yet fierce.

Sleigh Bells will be playing Pitchfork this summer and I’ll definitely to try to make it to the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment