Saturday, May 8, 2010

No. 91: These United States


These United States, TUS, hail from Washington D.C. and Lexington, companied with quite a bit of recording time in sweet home Chicago, tend to lean closer to their Kentucky home with their southern sound. Jesse Elliot the founding member and central influence of TUS is joined regularly by 4 band members, and not so regularly by a vast number of collabratrive artists at both recording sessions and live shows. The band has released 3 albums with Crimes striking me as the most favorable. TUS gets a bit too twang and country for this Claptrapper, at times reminding me of Modest Mouse with a steel geetar, but if you don't mind leaning a little country they may be someone you want to check out this year.
These United States on MySpace
Videos of These United States

1 comment:

  1. Its weird that when listening to the music on the myspace page I def get a country feel like Kolmin stated, but then I watch the videos and hear a bluegrass sound when they are just playing in a park or acoustically. I think I would like this band more if they stuck to the jugband sound in the videos.

    ReplyDelete